Friday, September 20, 2013

Honor, Pride, and Strength

It is an honorable thing to dedicate your life to a good cause.  It is even more honorable to dedicate your future to our nation.
Meet RJ.  He is a proud member of the United States Army.  I have known RJ a long time, pretty much my whole life. Did I mention he is my cousin?  RJ( pronounced Arrrr-ge when we are to lazy to say the actual letters ) joined me at Slippery Rock during my sophomore year.  He pledge one of my favorite fraternities on campus, which also happened to be the one our uncle founded many moons ago,  and hung out in many of the same circles as I did.  

I am not sure what lead him into this direction but he decided to join the ROTC, and then the following year he went on to basic training.  It was very odd not seeing him around campus, or at family functions.  When he finally came back he was no longer the scrawny RJ we knew months prior.  He now walked taller, stood straighter, and somehow talked even deeper than he already had. 

Last fall, my parents and I were invited to see his journey at good ol' SRU come to an end.  My aunt asked if I would mind photographing the Commissioning Ceremony for her, and as you can see here I just couldn't say no.  

Who is that adorably cute old man in the photos?  That would be our 90 year old grandfather.  In part of the ceremony, they ask an old member of the military to present a silver dollar, and offer the first salute.  I am speaking for our pap when I say that I am sure that that meant a heck of a lot to him. 
90 years young and still has that twinkle in his eye!


What a proud, and good looking family ;)
 It really was a priceless and special moment and I am so happy I was there to capture such great memories.   Congratulations 2nd Lieutenant Rifle Platoon Leader Robert John Politowski!

No comments:

Post a Comment