Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Family Tradition

Cooking/baking….My mother taught me, just like her mother before her.  The kitchen was our classroom and the stove was our chalk board.  She taught me so much and I hope one day I can pass on our family's tradition to one of my children some day.

Sitting on our kitchen counter, in a frame is a dirty, faded, stained index card.  On that card is something very special.  It's a hand written recipe for a pecan pie.  This is the only handwritten memory my mother has of her mother.  My grandmother died long before I was even a twinkle in my parents eyes.  Her recipe is a nice reminder of where we came from, and a tradition that we continue.

My aunts, cousins and I all have our own skills that we have taken away from the generation above us. We all have recipes that we show each other in hopes to keep passing them on as something special in the future.  My cousin Megan and I like the bring some new recipes to the table though.
Our most recent bake date night, we made these amazing apple cup cakes with apple cider butter cream.  Inside the cupcake is homemade caramel and topped with candied walnuts.   
**For more recipes check out my Pinterest Page.  I have tried a lot of the recipes I have pinned if you want to compare notes :)  

No comments:

Post a Comment